I hope this letter finds you and your family safe and well, during these extremely difficult and unprecedented times.
I am writing to provide you with an update regarding our plans, as they currently stand, following the Easter holiday.
Please note, due to St Machar Academy being closed, our school telephone numbers are not in use. Therefore, we have new and alternative ways in which families can contact us during our school building closure:
- Groupcall Xpressions: this is our exciting and new service to help make home-school communication easier, more effective and more accessible. Xpressions is completely free of charge to you. The Xpressions App can be installed on your Apple iOS or Android phone. Download the app at www.parents.groupcall.com and register using the mobile phone number and email address that you have given to our school. Alternatively, Xpressions is accessible on any internet browser on your computer, laptop or mobile device at www.xpressions.groupcall.com.
- Please note, you must keep your personal details up to date with our school. Furthermore, this method is becoming our main source of communication with all parents.
- General enquiries can be emailed to StMacharAcademy@aberdeencity.gov.uk.
- Google Suite password resets for your child and enquires to email@example.com
- Similar to ‘normal times’ the main point of contact between school and home is your child’s Guidance Teacher. Email details are provided below.
House Teacher e-mail gw Crombie O Smith (Mon &Tue)
L Bonnar(Wed, Thur, Fri)
firstname.lastname@example.org Don L McCaig email@example.com Dunbar K Dobson firstname.lastname@example.org Meston J Purdie email@example.com Skene G Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
- Google Suite: your child can use these platforms to discuss learning matters with their teacher.
On May 11th 2020, we are proceeding with our original plans to progress learning with young people in the Broad General Education, this means that all cohorts will move forward to the next year group in a virtual capacity, further details will be communicated to you in due course. Please do not underestimate the absolute importance for your child to continue to engage in their learning. Teachers at St Machar Academy have been working exceptionally hard to create resources and experiences for home and remote learning. It is vital that your child engages with rigor and commitment. This ongoing learning is helping to further develop your child’s skills, knowledge and understanding of their chosen subjects at their current level.
Aberdeen City Council Secondary Schools are having discussions regarding starting virtual learning towards next session’s qualifications earlier than usual for our Senior Phase pupils. At present we are updating our systems and learning platforms. Your child’s ongoing engagement continues to help build a learning picture of your child and is preparing them to successfully progress to the next SCQF level and further study. For more information about SCQF levels and progression of study visit https://scqf.org.uk/support/support-for-learners-parents.
If you do not have access to technology at home and require access to technology please email email@example.com let us know via email, so that we can try to arrange distribution for your child. Please be aware that we have distributed almost all of our mobile devices and have a finite source.
Moving forward, to retain the safety, and security of both teachers and pupils during live online interactions we are recommending that these are recorded, please advise your child of this.
On Monday 20th April SQA published a document for schools regarding the submission of estimate our grades. We will be discussing this document with our senior leadership team on Tuesday morning with the intent to meet with all of the extended leadership team during course Tuesday & Wednesday to determine how best we work through the procedure outlined by SQA. All the information can be found at https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/93920.html.
I hope this update is of some use to you. I assure you, I will provide further updates as soon as possible and when relevant and/or new information is available.
Finally, I wish each one of you the best of health. Please stay safe.